Tuesday 4 January 2011

Read: Jan 4th - Short story 'On The Floor'

January 4th

Read: Grl2grl by Julie Anne Peters, Short story 'On The Floor'

I'm so utterly confused by this anthology of short stories. Perhaps I misunderstood the actual book because I thought it was supposes to be full of stories about gay girls. It appears to be more about teenagers - whether they're gay, straight, in love with their teacher or into basketball.

That's right, the newest delight is about two girls (one is definitely a girl and assuming the match is an official rules thing, the other one probably will be too) playing basketball.

Now that concept doesn't seem repulsive in any way and I actually enjoyed it for the most part. There was a section I thoroughly enjoyed but then they overdid it by repeating the style of short, one/few-word sentences. Despite ruining it's main good aspect, I will still share with you part of it. To really feel it, imagine you're watching a game of basketball and one team has the ball, they're moving swiftly across the court, the other team are defending, doing everything they can to get the ball, then they get it back again. It's all quick, speedy and that's how you should read this, to get it's full effect.

The game. Play. Bodies clashing, gliding, sliding against each other. Grunting, groaning, crying out. Keening, squealing, primitive animal sounds. The pungent smell, the odor of exertion and exhilaration. The salty taste of sweat - mine and hers. Slick, sticky neck, arms, hands.

It's pretty attention grabbing.

Luckily I got a short one tonight as I go back to work in the morning, so sleep is a must. Fingers crossed I'll be able to keep up with my resolution while working.

No comments:

Post a Comment