Thursday 13 January 2011

Read: Jan 13th - The Postmistress (2)

I've continued reading the book I've been reading since yesterday. The story is really beginning to take hold and I'm more than intrigued as to what will happen in the story.

I was particularly surprised by a paragraph on the Jews. The Holocaust is something we continue to hear about, the history of it and there's museums and such which give a lot of information. This is the first time, from what I recall, where I have read a book about the Second World War that isn't about the Holocaust, but has referred to it.

It's almost like gaining an insight into what it was like for a British person hearing stories of a wall being built around a city. We usually read about it as something that happened a long time ago or something that is occurring for the character we're focused on.

This story has shown the other side, the blind lack of knowledge that people in Britain had about what the Nazis were doing. They didn't know. They hoped it was just containing the Jews in an area, the way they discuss it suggests that the Jews being gassed is something they not only had no idea about but I imagine it would have made them feel just as sick as it makes me feel considering the torture that went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment