Friday 7 January 2011

Write: Jan 7th - Sometimes

This has been the third night where writing wasn't exactly top of my list, mostly because my computer hasn't been on making it less likely for me to write properly. So I opted for my ipod to write on.

I asked someone for a quote, a prompt to get me writing and "The hardest thing to do in this world is live in it" was chosen.

So here it is...

Sometimes life is easy; when every traffic light is on green during the one morning you're late for college or when you're surrounded constantly by people you actually like, who like you and you feel like life couldn't get much better.

But life isn't always that way. There's not always time to smell the roses, or toast some bread before leaving the house and there's not always nice people around giving you that morale boost.

And sometimes, sometimes your dad leaves home, your boyfriend gets murdered and you try to end the painful misery that has become your existence. Not your life, only your surviving moments.

Living and surviving are two very different things.

Take Emily and Naomi for instance, living each day as fully as they could. They're travelling, seeing the world after spending years studying. They're making the most of things and doing it together.

Then there's Pandora, always living with a smile on her face and a random catchphrase to make you laugh, internally anyway.

Out of all of my friends, Cook was probably the only example I could think of who was very good at appearing as though he lived life like every day was his last. But like me, deep down, hidden under his skin, he was swimming hard to keep afloat, to survive.

That was how it felt. I was falling, drowning, struggling to breath, all at once. I was suffocating, not only in the overbearing "support" of my mother, but in life. That's why nobody understood.

Everyone else, they lived. They laughed and cried and shouted and screamed all in the name of happiness, pain, excitement and sorrow. They didn't know what it felt like to wonder if that moment, that exciting scream or painful cry, would be the last one they managed to breath before they succumbed to the water.

Some say the hardest thing to do in this world is live in it. Most of them don't know, don't understand. But perhaps, sometimes, maybe they're right.

No comments:

Post a Comment