Friday 4 February 2011

Write: Feb 3rd - coffee shops and counting

I didn't write anything substantial. It often happens that I find myself unappealed to what the world is offering by way of inspiration and so, I don't write as much as I want to.

I sat in a coffee shop hoping for something to push me into action, perhaps someone with an interesting look having some form of argument with someone they know.

Something I didn't realise about the road outside said coffee shop, people walk fast. I had 3 possibly directions by which people could appear. And so I started a tally. In just FIVE minutes, I counted ONE HUNDRED people passing by...and those were only the ones I caught. There was probably another twenty five per cent on top of that.

So I sat back and I watched and I wondered if I'd probably been witness to about a thousand people going about their day. Now in a town of about two hundred and fifty thousand, that's quite a proportion to be able to see in only three hundred seconds.

So I made a few scribbled notes about a couple of people who caught my eye - like man with backpack right up against shoulders and black bob hat with a brim, he looked like one of the less well functioning members of society. Perhaps that's a judgement, an unfair one at that, but I went there looking for inspiration as to what people do and say on an average day walking past a coffee shop in the centre of Bolton.

No comments:

Post a Comment